Tummy tuck patients at our Mississauga practice can often be a bit overwhelmed as their surgery dates approach. It is normal to be a little nervous, and we always find that educating yourself about the procedure and preparing for your recovery can calm some of your nerves. These six areas are particularly important to consider.
- Proper Diet: It is very important to eat a balanced diet in the weeks leading up to surgery. You want to be as close to your goal weight as possible before surgery. And of course, you should continue eating clean during recovery and beyond. Living a healthy lifestyle will keep your results looking exceptional for years to come.
- Time Off Work: Give yourself time to recover. Surgery can take a toll on the body, so you need time to rest. Plan on taking off around 2 weeks of work. If your job requires intense manual labor, then we recommend that you take closer to 4 to 6 weeks off.
- Asking for Help: During the first few days, you will need extra help from close friends and family. You will need assistance doing small tasks like getting up to go to the bathroom. Please do make sure to have one or more people committed to helping you after you get home.
- Recreational Activities: Avoid alcohol, smoking, and other recreational drugs during your recovery. Smoking inhibits blood flow, which will slow down your recovery, and alcohol and recreational drugs are dangerous to mix with your pain medication.
- Managing Expectations: Remember that swelling will obscure your results for a while. You will not be able to see your final results for several weeks, sometimes even months, so try to keep that in perspective as you heal.
- Plastic Surgeon’s Advice: Following your surgeon’s post-op instructions is absolutely necessary for a speedy recovery. If you have any questions about these instructions, do not hesitate to ask. At our practice, we encourage any and all questions throughout the entire process — from consultation to recovery.
You are the controller of your own destiny. You have made a big investment in yourself, so you must protect that investment by any means necessary. If you have any questions about the tummy tuck procedure or think you may be a good candidate, request a consultation online.