Liposuction has been one of the most popular cosmetic surgery procedures for many years, and it’s not hard to understand why when you look at its track record of effectiveness. I use liposuction at my Toronto clinic on a wide range of patients with concerns about unwanted pockets of fat. Here’s what makes the procedure so popular:
- It can be done on many treatment areas. Liposuction eliminates fat pockets beneath the skin in the ever-popular regions of the abdomen, buttocks, and thighs, but it can also work on stubborn fat in the knees, neck, and chin area.
- It can be combined with other surgeries. With liposuction alone, patients can achieve dramatic results, but when this procedure is combined with other popular options such as breast augmentation or tummy tuck surgery, the results can be amazing.
- It is among the most affordable cosmetic surgeries. One of the concerns that many patients have when it comes to plastic surgery is cost. Liposuction is among the most affordable choices in plastic surgery, depending on the size of the area treated.
- The recovery time from liposuction is surprisingly short. With techniques like tumescent liposuction (see below), patients can often have their treatment with mild sedation, not heavy anesthesia, and this means a more rapid recovery such that many patients are up and around carrying out normal activities in a day or two.
- There are new advancements all the time that make the process easier and more comfortable. With tumescent liposuction, a saline-based solution containing a local anesthetic is used to flush out fat. This process speeds recovery and cuts down on bleeding, bruising, and discomfort. Ultrasound technology and power-assisted liposuction are also commonly used to make fat easier to remove and hasten the recovery process. More advances like these are showing up all the time, making the procedure that much more comfortable and appealing.