The key to natural-looking plastic surgery is customizing the procedure to fit a patient’s unique needs. That’s why we offer both traditional tummy tuck and mini tummy tuck procedures at our Toronto practice. Also known as abdominoplasty, a tummy tuck can provide men and women with a dramatic improvement in the abdominal area. The first step in this transformation is finding out which surgical technique is right for you.
Full Tummy Tuck
Most patients with excess skin and separated abdominal muscles are candidates for a full tummy tuck. This procedure can help you lose up to several inches from your waistline and help your clothes fit better. Additionally, any stretch marks or scars that exist below your belly button may be gone after the surgery.
- Incision length: A full tummy tuck involves a horizontal incision running from hip to hip just above the pubic area, as well as an incision around the navel. These incisions allow the surgeon to repair and tighten your abdominal muscles, remove excess skin, and sometimes incorporate liposuction in that area.
- Belly button: A full tummy tuck requires repositioning the belly button. Once we have re-draped the skin over your newly sculpted midsection, we will reconstruct the belly button in an aesthetically pleasing way.
- Recovery: Rest is extremely important after tummy tuck surgery. You will have to take off about a week from work. If your job requires manual labor, you may need to take off more time. You can start to do light activity after about 2 weeks and can resume more intensive workouts after about 6 weeks.
Mini Tummy Tuck
In certain cases, patients don’t require a full tummy tuck to get a flatter stomach. Women in particular often have excess skin that creates a pooch just below the belly button. In these cases, a mini tummy tuck may be enough to achieve “just right” results.
Good candidates for a mini tummy tuck are individuals with good skin elasticity. Additionally, the abdominal muscles should be relatively tight because a mini tummy tuck does not address separated or loose muscles in the same way as a full tummy tuck.
- Incision length: With a mini tummy tuck, your surgeon will only need to make a single, shorter horizontal incision, with placement in approximately the same location as a full tummy tuck incision.
- Belly button: The belly button is not involved in this version of the procedure.
- Recovery: The mini tummy tuck tends to provide an easier recovery period. Because a mini tummy tuck is less invasive, the recovery time is typically shortened, so patients can return to their regular activities sooner. Having said that, it is still important to give your body the rest it needs while you’re healing.
Making Your Decision
It is important to take the time and do your research before deciding on a procedure. Keep your long-term body goals in mind as well! At your consultation, your surgeon will evaluate your abdomen and be able to give you a recommendation of what procedure fits your needs. However, remember that the decision to proceed with any cosmetic procedure is ultimately a decision you make for yourself.
To get an idea of your potential with a tummy tuck, view our gallery of real patient before-and-after photos.
If you want to discuss your tummy tuck options, request a consultation online or call our office at (416) 207-9090.