Of all the areas that patients inquire about, the neck region seems to a leading area of concern for a huge number of our patients. Complaints range from redness, discoloration, and crepey skin quality, to vertical lines, “necklace” lines, and looseness, which when very exaggerated is often called “ turkey neck.” When advanced, the only real way to address severe laxity of neck skin is with a surgical procedure, typically a neck lift which is usually combined with a lower facelift. In that procedure, Dr. Weinberg removes excess skin, with an incision hidden in the hairline and around the ear. Underlying connective tissue is lifted and repositioned, and the procedure is often combined with liposuction to remove excess subcutaneous fat, so that jowls and double chin are treated at the same time, and the jawline as well as the neck are tightened. Short of surgery, however, there are several things you can do to preserve and improve the appearance of your neck before resorting to the knife.
- 1. Use a good neck cream – Several skincare products are specifically formulated to address the neck area. This is necessary as skin creams designed for facial skin are sometimes not so well tolerated on more sensitive neck skin. Our favorite is Alastin Restorative Neck Complex-formulated with Phytoene, Phytofluene, Flax Seed Extract and a proprietary mixture of peptides the company calls “ triHex technology”, it has been clinically proven to improve the texture, pigmentation, and wrinkles in the neck and decolletage
- 2. BOTOX COSMETIC®– As when administered in most areas, Botox will help prevent progressive development of vertical cords, so called “vertical neck bands”, that age the look of the neck over time.
- 3. Skinboosters – These Hyaluronic acid compounds are like fillers, only thinner in consistency and formulated to be administered more superficially to improve skin texture. These can soften “necklace” lines, those horizontal necklines most of us hate. Skinboosters can be incorporated into a Mesotherapy treatment, along with several other active compounds designed to hydrate and nourish neck skin.
- 4. Microneedling – The micro channels created with the SkinPen microneedling device help stimulate collagen deposition. Various actives, mesotherapy solutions, can be added to the microneedling treatment to augment results to soften necklace lines and improve crepey neck skin.
- 5. Ultherapy®– This is hands down the best way to improve Turkey Neck short of surgery. Ultherapy utilizes targeted ultrasound to zap tissues deep to the surface to cause tightening of loose neck and lower face skin along the jawline. Results appear over several months. Ultherapy of the lower face and neck are often done together, sometimes along with decolletage, for best results.